Tuesday 10 September 2013

Judgement Day

Today in St Oberholz I am joined by a new friend. Its name is Chocolate Brownie, and unfortunately I don't expect it will be with me for long.
This has been the afternoon of decision-making in the office. We recapped who was reviewing what essential sights, places and locations in and around the city, finalised some internal deadlines, and discussed our stylistic rules. It turns out that once you get down to the nitty-gritty of writing processes and production, there are an awful lot of particulars to be agreed upon. Deciding upon them all feels a bit like splitting hairs, but it's all necessary for the production of a professional product. For an example: will we be using contractions? When we write the date, which comes first: number or month? How will we write opening times - 24-hour or am/pm? Etc etc...
Now that the practicalities have been decided we are all free to crack on with our individual work schedules. My own appears to be turning out rather nicely; I've mostly chosen to review cafes, eateries, and musical centres. Aside from all the money I'll be spending and the weight I'll probably gain, it's a pretty decent way to spend the next few weeks. Obviously there's all the writing to be done, and I've put myself forward as an editor (so I'll be scrutinising everyone else's work as well as my own), but I'm looking forward to keeping busy. Plus I'll be doing what I love - exploring and writing.
(And eating and drinking and being a classical music snob.)
I'll try to get as much work as possible done before next Friday, when the boyfriend is coming over. By then there'll be so much to show him - more than could possibly be squeezed into a week, let alone a weekend.
We'll be spending one night in a hotel and hostel in Prenzlauer Berg, which I'm reviewing for the project. We'll have to scrutinise everything, from the bed linen to the breakfast (which means actually getting up for breakfast, something we tend not to bother with in hotels normally). Since he will more than likely have to deal with me contending with work for the first night at least, I've booked us into somewhere nice for the following night. Shan't say what it is on here, because if (as I hope) he's reading this blog I don't want to let the cat out of the bag. Ordinarily he's not a big fan of surprises, but this one he ought to appreciate.
Considering I'm the one who paid for it, I'll be appreciating it as much as is physically possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment